- Carbon and low alloy steels
- Stainless steels/ “L” grade distinction capable
- Aluminium and aluminium alloys
- Coppers and copper alloys
- Nickel and nickel alloys
The PMI Master Pro is a portable testing unit and we offer onsite testing.
- Heat treatment condition
- Surface coatings
- Selective hardened surface layers
- Chemistry (XRF/optical)
- Hardness (EQUITIP/MIC10)
Characterise and categorise the nature and probable causes of material and component failure.
- Failure mode identification (Fracture, Cracking, Distortion, Corrosion, Wear)
- Contributing factors
- Identification of failure mechanism
(Fatigue, Overload, Stress corrosion cracking, embrittlement, ductile or brittle fracture).
Metallography & Microstructure Characteristics
Evaluation of a materials microstructure using the aid of a high powered stereo microscope.
- Identification and measurement of phases
- Grain structure shape and size
- Phase distribution
- Microstructure deformation
- Fracture and crack nature. ie – intergranular / transgranular.
Metlabs has both laboratory based and portable testing equipment.
Testing can be conducted using the following methods:
- Vickers hardness (HV)
- Brinell hardness (HB)
- Rockwell C (HRC)
Our Equotip and Hardtip instruments are portable and we offer onsite testing.
A method used to obtain a surface representation of the materials microstructure, which may contain cracking, defects or flaws. This method is mostly used in the field and when it is not possible to section the component (mostly non-destructive).
- Steels, stainless steels, cast irons
- Review existing procedures
- Develop new procedures
- Recommend repair procedures
Welding & Weld Defect Analysis
Examination of weld and welded joints.
- Weld macrostructure
- Weld microstructure
- Weld metal composition